Fresh Eats has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.fresheatsathome.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Me: Under the Knife

This post isn’t about food. So if you’re looking for an early fall recipe or cheery write-up of last night’s dinner, feel free to search elsewhere.

You see, I’m getting my back fixed tomorrow. Disk surgery. A seemingly innocent injury has, over time, flared up into an angry mass of pain that can no longer withstand the rigors of everyday life.

Apparently, this disk wants out. So I will let it go.

I’ve done my homework. Sought multiple opinions. Bought cute pajamas and amassed a stack of reading material.

The logical part of me knows that this is one of those times in life when you simply need to dig up your courage and deal. So that’s what I’m doing.

The other part of me, though, cringes at the thought of a surgeon that I met for all of 30 minutes slicing into my lower back, digging into my spine and grinding off bone. Even if he is the best at what he does, a perfectionist by all accounts.

But, the day has now arrived, and at this point, I’m as prepared as I can be.

I’m ready to be better. Ready to again be the person I used to be: the one who ran half marathons, who lifted weights and joyfully practiced yoga. The one who reveled in the flowers and vegetables in my garden and could tend to them without paying for it later. The one who could pick up my three-year old nephew and carry him around, even as he wriggles away.

And, yes, the one who cooked. Because my cooking has suffered as well.

Which brings me to this blog. I’m not sure where I will take Fresh Eats for the next couple of months. It could become a blog about healing, about cooking while recovering, or it could go silent for a bit. But this much I know, I will be back, and I hope you’ll be there with me.

See you on the flip side.

14 comments:

  1. I'll be right here, sending you good thoughts and my best wishes. Here's hoping this brings you the relief you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, we're right here for you when you are ready to come back. Thinking healing thoughts for you and wishing you a fast recovery! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, my friends. I really appreciate your good wishes! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're back at the yoga before you realize you were ever gone from it. :)

    Good luck tomorrow!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Jennifer, that's what I'm going to focus on -- lots of Downward Dog! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I didn't expect to read this on your blog today! Good luck Maria, we're all with you. I'll be sending my positive energy to you, I hope you'll have a quick recovery and be able to resume your favorite activities. The goals are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Maria, I'll be thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Maria,
    Good luck! I'm sure it will go well. Give yourself time to rest. Be indulgent with yourself. And know that we're all out here sending you a virtual hug. xoxCathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are going to be great! I know it. Will await Wes' email with an update tomorrow. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone. I'm grateful to have such great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck Maria! I am sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck Maria! You are ready...heal quick and return to blogging soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria - I'm behind on my google reader and just read this post. Best wishes for a wonderful surgery and speedy recovery. Looking forward to your future blogging, whatever fashion it may be.

    ReplyDelete